Bread is a staple. People have been eating it for thousands of years.
Yet, there are breads that are expensive and inaccessible for many people. Huge, round crusty loaves that do not resemble what we might want in our school lunches or on our dinner tables.
Other breads are widely available but lack nutrition and can somehow sit on a grocery store shelf for months.
We wanted a bread that is approachable, accessible and affordable. With no stabilizers or conditioners in it.
The Approachable Loaf is tin-baked and sliced, contains no more than seven ingredients and no non-food. It is at least 60-100% whole wheat and priced under $8/loaf depending on regionality.
Oh, and it tastes really good too.
The Approachable Movement
The Breadlab Collective is a group of bakers, millers, plant breeders, teachers and students across four countries who have joined together to bake, sell and teach the Approachable Loaf.
Jeff Yankellow, a founding member of The Breadlab Collective, developed the original Approachable Loaf formula with WSU Breadlab in 2018. It bakes beautifully at 100% whole wheat.
The Approachable Formula
|Dough Yield:||2.000 kg|
|Pre-fermented whole wheat flour =||12 %|
|WHOLE WHEAT LEVAIN 16 HOURS||BAKERS %|
|TOTAL||0.240 kg||202.0 %|
|Whole Wheat Flour||0.119 kg||100.0 %|
|Water||0.119 kg||100.0 %|
|Starter||0.003 kg||2.00 %|
|FINAL DOUGH||BAKERS %|
|TOTAL||2.000 kg||229.8 %|
|Whole Wheat Flour||0.870 kg||100.0 %|
|Water||0.742 kg||85.2 %|
|Salt||0.019 kg||2.2 %|
|Honey||0.069 kg||8.0 %|
|Olive Oil||0.052 kg||6.0 %|
|Levain||0.240 kg||27.6 %|
|OVERALL FORMULA||BAKERS %|
|TOTAL||2.000 kg||202.22 %|
|Whole Wheat Flour||0.989 kg||100.00 %|
|Water||0.860 kg||87.00 %|
|Salt||0.019 kg||1.90 %|
|Honey||0.069 kg||7.00 %|
|Olive Oil||0.052 kg||5.25 %|
|Starter||0.003 kg||0.027 %|
- Mix ingredients until well incorporated. Cover and let rest 12-15 hours at room temperature.
- Add all ingredients to the bowl, holding back about 10% water.
- Mix 3 minutes in first speed.
- Mix 4-6 minutes in second speed, adding water after some development.
- Full development.
- Desired dough temperature: 74-80°F
- Bulk fermentation: 1 hour
- 1 fold at 30 minutes.
- Divide at 1000g for 9″ × 5″ pan.
- Rest 30 minutes
- Shape and proof in greased loaf pans.
- Final proof: 60-90 minutes at room temperature.
- Score if desired.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Load and drop to 375°F. Bake for 40-45 minutes. (If browning too quickly, lower to 350°F.)